Sunday 3 May 2015

Beltane 2015

I celebrated Beltane on Friday (1st May). You can celebrate on either 30th April or 1st May. Last year I had salad for lunch and an elderflower drink. See last year's post here: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2014/05/beltane.html

This year I made an elderflower and lemon drink using an old recipe from the Co-op magazine. It's basically just elderflower drink (I used Belvoir's Elderflower Cordial) mixed with fizzy/sparkling water and lemon juice. I did like it but originally I made it too weak. It tasted better when I added more cordial.

I also made my own guacamole using a recipe from my new book The Kitchen Witch by Soraya. I'd never made it before. It's not complicated to make and it tasted quite nice. Green is a colour associated with Beltane, so guacamole fits in with that! I had it with chicken drumsticks, potato salad, coleslaw, shop bought dips (salsa, guacamole and onion and garlic), tomato and a few crisps.

Here's a picture of the salad. You can see the home made guacamole to the left of the plate. It's paler than the shop one.



Some guacamole recipes have different ingredients than the one from the book, but I'll write the ingredients for it out here and then link to another recipe (since I can't copy the whole one that I used). I didn't plan to make a huge amount, so I halved the recipe. I found that this was enough for me but if you want to make the original amount just double the amount of ingredients. :) It goes off quite quickly, so it's best eaten straight away.


Guacamole

1 tomato
1 ripe avocado
Half a tub of cream cheese
Juice of quarter of a lemon
Salt and pepper

Here's a similar recipe from Nigella Lawson's site (not her recipe): https://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/guacamole-avocado-dip-4692



Hope you had a good Beltane! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment