Monday 25 March 2019

Oestara 2019

Last Wednesday it was Oestara (also known as Ostara and the Spring Equinox). I celebrated by making a Malteser slice with Cadbury Mini Eggs on top! (I usually celebrate with food and drink). As I mentioned in my Oestara Celebration Inspiration post, it's similar to Birdies Perch, which is a favourite of mine to make.

I first made it last year; it was called Malteser Fridge Squares and the recipe was on the Red Nose Day site. The page with the original recipe is now gone but you can find the same (or similar) recipe here, called Malteser Squares: https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a500554/eric-lanlard-s-malteser-squares/

It was quite nice. Here's a picture:


The only thing is the recipe mentions crushed biscuits but doesn't list them in the ingredients, or tell you how many to use. When I make the Birdies Perch Malteser slice I use 225g/8oz digestive biscuits, so I used about the same for this recipe. I put the Maltesers and Mini Eggs on before it set because I thought that would help to hold them better.


I also made some  potato salad with chives on Friday, using a recipe from Soraya's The Kitchen Witch. (You can use chives or mint). I usually make her potato salad for Samhain, (well, based on her recipe) so it made a change to do it for Oestara. I had it with some crisps and dip for lunch.

I went for a walk in the park on Oestara and planned to take some sunset pics, but there was no sunset! I also wanted to go up to my favourite nature reserve, but all week the weather was dull and there wasn't a proper sunset. However today was sunny, so I went there earlier. Here are a couple of photos:

Sunset on Mill Hill, Shoreham-by-sea.



A couple of other things I did was watch Tess Whitehurst's Ostara Affirmations for Rebirth and Renewal video and light a candle in the evening, a Sugared Blossom Yankee candle that I got for my birthday earlier this month. I don't tend to light candes for Oestara (do that more for fire festivals like Beltane and Litha), but candles are nice any time, and I thought it would be good because it's spring themed. :)

I'm happy that spring is here! While this past winter hasn't been as cold as last year's, it's still been quite cold and dreary, so it's good that it's lightening up now. (If you're more of a warmer weather/summer person like me!). The days have been getting longer since Yule and now after the Spring Equinox we'll notice them more, especially after next weekend when the clocks go forward.

After a dull few days this past week, yesterday and today have been sunny. I'm looking forward to more nice weather and signs of spring soon, especially blossom trees. Last year we had some hot weather during April and it felt more like early summer. I wonder if that will happen again this year?

Hope you had a good Oestara if you celebrated! (Or Madron/Mabon!). :)

Now that spring has begun, check out this post for some spring inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2019/03/preparing-for-spring-spring-inspiration.html


No comments:

Post a Comment