Monday 25 March 2024

Oestara 2024

Last Wednesday (20th March) it was Oestara (more commonly known as Ostara)/the Spring Equinox. (Or Tuesday the 19th depending on your time zone.) I normally bake for this sabbat and this year I made some carrot cake cupcakes. I used this recipe from Love Lemons: https://www.loveandlemons.com/carrot-cake-cupcakes/

They have cream cheese icing/frosting and are similar to the spicy carrot cake cupcakes I made last Oestara. You can also make a carrot cake version of these (big cake). They were quite nice. I didn't use any nutmeg because I didn't have any. I was going to use mixed spice instead but realised it was out of date! lol.

The cream cheese icing was nice and I put Cadbury Mini Eggs on top to fit the Oestara/spring theme. Here's a pic:


 

In the evening, I went up to my favourite nature reserve on a hill for sunset. it was a nice one, gentle, pastel type colours. Here are a couple of photos: 



So now we're "officially" in spring! I've been noticing the days getting longer, which I'm happy about. The clocks will go forward next Sunday (31st March, which is also Easter Sunday), so then sunset will be an hour later. (It's currently around 6.23pm in my area.) I've also been seeing more signs of spring with flowers coming out. We've had a lot of rain lately but some sunny days. 

It's actually 4 years this month since we first went into lockdown at the start of the pandemic! I'd written a potential lockdown situation in my Oestara + Spring Inspiraton post. And then we went into it on 23rd March (in the UK) which was when I wrote my Oestara 2020 post. I think I must have written it before the announcement was made, because I just mentioned social distancing and parks closing. It's strange to think that it's already been that long. 

It's Easter Sunday next weekend and the next sabbat will be Beltane at the end of April/beginning of May. I'm planning to write my first winter-spring update of the year next month and I'll write about my Beltane celebration nearer the time.

Hope you had a good Oestara/Spring Equinox and Happy Spring! (Or hope you had a good Madron/Mabon/Autumn Equinox  and Happy Autumn!) :) 


P.S. If you'd like some spring inspiration, check out my recent post Easing into Spring (autumn links included for the Southern Hemisphere): https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2024/03/easing-into-spring.html



No comments:

Post a Comment