Tuesday 31 January 2023

Happy Imbolg!


I normally post on Sundays or Mondays but didn't manage to get this finished yesterday. :) 

 

It's nearly time for Imbolg (more commonly known as Imbolc). This year it's on Thursday 2nd February (or Wednesday 1st Feb if you celebrate on that day, or sundown to sundown). 

 

For the past few years, I've written celebration idea posts for Imbolg and last year I did a post rounding them up. During 2022 I also wrote a series of posts sharing ideas and links for the sabbats rather than in-depth posts. As I said in the Yule 2022 post, I think I've pretty much covered all of the sabbats now (since each one has several posts with ideas for celebrating). So, once I've completed my current round of sabbat idea posts (which I started last Beltane), I will probably just write about my celebrations and maybe do a short post in advance of the festivals.

 

Note: If you're in the Southern Hemisphere it's nearly Lammas! Check out these posts for inspiration:

Lammas Round-up: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2021/07/lammas-round-up.html

Happy Lammas!: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2022/07/happy-lammas.html

 

Imbolg is the first sabbat of the calendar year and the 2nd or 3rd on the Wheel of the Year, depending on your viewpoint. Some people (like me) consider the yearly cycle to end and then start again at Samhain (also known as the Witches' New Year), while others think of Yule/the Winter Solstice as the beginning of the new cycle. And some think of Imbolg/Imbolc as the New Year instead. So do what feels right for you. :)

 

This sabbat is more often called Imbolc but as I've mentioned in the past, I first heard of it as Imbolg. Other names include February Eve, since some people start celebrating on 31st January (which is today by the time I'm publishing this post!) and Candlemas (although this is also now a Christian festival).

Imbolg is the first spring festival in the Wheel, coming before Oestara/Ostara aka the Spring Equinox in mid-late March and Beltane in late Apil/early May. It is also the festival of the Irish Fire Goddess Brigid/Brighid (pronounced something like "Breed") aka Bride. For more on Brigid, visit my Imbolg Celebration Ideas post from 2018 (scroll to the bottom).

And here is a post about her from John Beckett: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbeckett/2023/01/imbolc-honoring-the-goddess-brighid.html

This is a cross-quarter festival and is also transitional, marking the start of winter ending as we move towards spring (and the very beginning of spring). This is the time of year when we start to see signs of spring, although we're in the middle of winter and the weather often stays cold until March, or beyond in some places. Some years I've already seen early daffodils, or just the start of buds/stems (and then they sometimes get killed off in a cold snap), but I haven't seen any this year so far. 


Here is my Imbolg Round-up from last year, which features previous posts on the blog: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2022/01/imbolg-round-up.html

 

And here are some posts from other sites:

The Spiritual Meaning of Imbolc: https://rebeccacampbell.me/the-spiritual-meaning-of-imbolc/

9 Ways to Celebrate Imbolc: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/witchindeed/2023/01/9-ways-to-celebrate-imbolc/

Imbolc self-care rituals (guest post from Tenae of The Witch of Lupine Hollow): https://whimsysoul.com/imbolc-rituals-traditions-how-to-celebrate-this-festival-of-self-care/

The Writing Witch's Seasonal Living Guide for February Eve/Imbolc (podcast/video and blog post): https://writingwitch.com/2022/02/01/seasonal-living-guide-for-februarys-eve-imbolc/

 

I usually make pancakes for Imbolg, inspired by Kate West's book The Real Witches' Kitchen. They are a good fit for this time of year. I alternate between English pancakes (also known as crepes) or American style pancakes. For the past couple of years, I've made these oatmeal American pancakes: https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/oatmeal-pancakes/

I'll do those again this year. I'll probably have them with some lemonade (sparkling/fizzy drinks are also good for Imbolg because spring is coming!). I will also make pancakes for Pancake Day, (which is on 21st Feb this year), using this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-pancakes

I'll also light a white candle since Imbolg is a fire festival. Another thing I like to do for sabbats is go out in nature and take sunset pics. I don't tend to do that as much during the winter/colder months, but some years I go to the beach for Imbolg. This year I'm planning to go to the park for sunset.

I like to make a hot drink in the evening sometimes, most often hot spicy milk based on a recipe from Soraya's book The Kitchen Witch, that I've made for Yule some years. However, other times I make hot chocolate for a change and I'll do that again this Imbolg. Last year I made white hot chocolate.

This year I'm planning to make some based on this recipe for champurrado (thick Mexican hot chocolate): https://www.thetexmexmom.com/champurrado-thick-mexican-hot-chocolate/

Although it won't be authentic Mexican hot chocolate because I'm not using the Abuelita chocolate tablets. If I can get hold of them in future, then I'll definitely make it again!


Hope that gave you some ideas for celebrating. I will do a post about my celebrations next week Happy Imbolg/Imbolc! :) (Or Happy Lammas!) :)


Photo: Coronation Green, Shoreham-by-sea. Moonsparkle 2023.


No comments:

Post a Comment