Sunday 27 February 2022

Saying Goodbye to Winter, Moving into Spring

We're now coming to the end of winter and moving into spring. I've mentioned before about how this is a more hopeful time of year for me, compared to the transition from summer into autumn. (I do like autumn but summer is my favourite season, so I'm always sad to see it go.) Although I try to find something good in every season, I'm not that keen on winter. I don't like the cold weather and short days. If we do get snow, it makes a change though! 

I've previously written a few posts on getting ready for spring which you can see below:

Getting Ready for Spring: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2018/03/getting-ready-for-spring.html

Preparing for Spring + Spring Inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2019/03/preparing-for-spring-spring-inspiration.html

Oestara + Spring Inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2020/03/oestara-spring-inspiration.html

Winter Photos + Preparing for Spring (2021): https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2021/03/winter-photos-preparing-for-spring.html

 

Note: If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, it's almost time for autumn. You might like these posts:

Getting Ready for Autumn: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2018/09/getting-ready-for-autumn.html

Autumn Photos + Inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2018/10/autumn-photos-inspiration.html

Autumn 2020 + More Inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2020/10/autumn-2020-photos-more-inspiration.html

 

This year I thought I'd share a few thoughts on shifting into spring. As I've said before, there are two days thought to be the start of spring- "meteorological" spring (on 1st March) and "astronomical" on the Spring Equinox, also known as Oestara/Ostara in pagan circles (20th March this year). I do like the idea of spring starting on the 1st (as that's my birthday!), but it often still feels quite cold and wintry during early March.

There are signs of spring already though, such as daffodils and snowdrops, and the days are becoming longer and lighter. We had a bit of snow in Sussex last year but there hasn't been any this year. January to February can often be the coldest time of year in the UK but we can also get some lovely, sunny days (like today). Last weekend we had "Storm Eunice" (followed by Franklin) in the UK and Ireland but this weekend has been a lot calmer. (Typically, it was when I was going on the bus to my belly dance group's hafla/dance party! lol).

It can feel like quite a bleak time of year because winter seems like it's dragging, but it's also nice because you see indications of spring appearing. Depending on your part of the world, winter may last for quite a few weeks (or even months) yet. Recently the weather here was a bit warmer at 11C during the day, but at the moment it's about 8C (46F). I know in some places it is much colder though!

Here is a photo I took in Hove Park in January: 

 


I went to the beach on Imbolg/Imbolc at the beginning of the month (the festival which marks the start of the shift from winter to spring) and you can see some sunset pics I took in this post: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2022/02/imbolg-2022.html

I plan to share some more pictures in my 2022 winter to spring update post in a couple of months. You can also see more photos on my Instagram if you like: https://www.instagram.com/moonstarsparkle17/

 

Spring has some nice festivals such as Oestara/Ostara in March, Easter (17th April this year) and Beltane on 1st May (or 30th April depending on when you celebrate). Pancake Day is late this year, it's actually on my birthday (1st March)! Usually it's in February, but I think it's because Easter is later. 1st March is also St. David's Day in Wales. :)

This time of year can feel a bit unsettled for me, especially January because Christmas is over and we still have a lot of winter to go. I've said before that some years I don't feel really "settled into the year" till about April or May! It also feels strange because it's two years since the start of the pandemic and almost two since we went into our first lockdown in the UK. January and Febrary 2020 were the last "normal" months here, although we were hearing of lockdowns/quarantines in other countries.

On top of that there it's a very difficult time in the world right now, with Russia having invaded Ukraine. It seems like every year lately, something happens that was unimaginable the year before. My thoughts are with the people of Ukraine. So, I hope that everybody is doing as well as can be expected. (I am not trying to minimise what they're going through in Ukraine.) :)


I will end with a few links related to winter and spring:

Since the nights are still chilly (and likely to be for a while yet), here are some hot chocolate recipes from Diana of The Chic Life: https://thechiclife.com/2022/01/healthy-hot-chocolate-recipes-for-national-hot-chocolate-day.html

Here is my winter drinks post from 2018: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2018/01/winter-drinks.html

My favourite hot chocolate to make is this one:  https://www.wellplated.com/french-hot-chocolate/

A post from Girl and the Word about celebrating Tết (Vietnamese New Year/Spring Festival): https://www.girlandtheword.com/blog/celebrating-tet-spring-festival-at-the-little-saigon-night-market

And another one about celebrating Chinese New Year): https://www.girlandtheword.com/blog/celebrating-chinese-new-year-2022-at-the-huntington-gardens

Both Tết and Chinese New Year are Lunar New Year festivals held at/around the same time as Imbolg (1st February). The Korean Lunar New Year (Seollal) is also celebrated during this time.  It's interesting how these seasonal festivals around the world are related! :) 


How has your winter been? What are you looking forward to in spring? Or how has your summer been and what are you looking forward to in autumn? :) 


Photo: Local daffodils. Moonsparkle 2022.




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Happiest (very, admittedly) birthday wishes! I hope that you had a fantastic celebration.

    It's hard to believe that, as I type these words, there is now less than a month left to go until summer.

    Given that we've only barely just had a few days of warm weather so far, this is definitely one of those years on our end where we go from snow boots to sandals in a matter of weeks. Ahh, Canada! 😄

    Thank you very much, lovely heart, for each and every one of the comments that you have brightened my blog with this season. They are sincerely appreciated it and always a joy to receive.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Autumn, thank you very much! <3 I did have a nice celebration.

      Yes, the year does seem to be going quickly! I'm looking forward to summer. Wishing you many warm days ahead (or at least a decent amount!). :)

      You're very welcome, I always enjoy visiting your blog. And thank you for commenting on my posts too, it means a lot. It's always a lovely surprise to see comments from you! <3

      Zania <3

      Delete