Sunday 9 May 2021

Beltane 2021

Last Saturday (1st May) it was Beltane. Although some celebrate from 30th April to 1st May. :) My main celebration for the sabbats is food and drink, and I usually make some form of salad and/or guacamole for Beltane. As I said in the Beltane Round-up post, this year I made avocado salad, which I also made in 2020. It's from the site Precious Core and you can see the recipe here: https://www.preciouscore.com/simple-healthy-avocado-salad

It's nice and simple to make. I had it for my lunch with some chicken and panini. I wanted ciabatta bread (I had that for Beltane 2018) but couldn't find any in the shops. Here's a picture: 


I also had some Belvoir Farm sparkling elderflower to drink. 

I'd planned to go the beach in the evening to take some sunset pics but the weather wasn't that great, so I went the next day instead. It was quite a nice sunset. Here are a couple of photos: 

Sunset on Lancing Beach.



I usually light a white candle on the evening of Beltane but I had trouble finding a plain white dinner one this year, so I lit a couple of tealights instead. 

So now we're in the middle of spring, moving towards summer. It hasn't felt much like spring lately really, since it's been quite cold and rainy. We even had a bit of hail which we don't normally have in Sussex in May! So, it's been quite a cold spring so far in general. There have been some sunny days though and it's warmer today. Hot weather is predicted later this month.

With lockdown restrictions slowly lifting in England and the rest of the UK, hopefully by summer things will be feeling a bit more "normal". But these days we can't really be certain of that, so maybe it's best to take things day by day. I know that things are different in various countries, so I hope everyone is doing ok, or as well as they can :)

I'm feeling the difference with the longer days. I've mentioned before that it can take me a while to really feel "settled" into the year, it tends to be around May when I start feeling a bit better and lighter. 

The next sabbat will be Litha/the Summer Solstice and that will mark the beginning of summer (or Yule/the Winter Solstice and the beginning of winter in the Southern Hemisphere). I'm looking forward to summer and I hope that it's better than last year! 

Hope you had a good Beltane! (Or Samhain!) :)



No comments:

Post a Comment