Monday 4 May 2020

Beltane 2020

Last Friday it was Beltane and I celebrated by making guacamole and salad. I used my favourite guacamole recipe from The Kitchen Witch by Soraya, and the salad I made was this avocado one from Precious Core: https://www.preciouscore.com/simple-healthy-avocado-salad/

Last year I made her Kachumbari (Kenyan tomato and onion salad) for Beltane. As I said in the More Beltane Inspiration post, I thought it would be nice to add an African touch since I'm part Cameroonian (English and a little bit Scottish as well), and Precious who runs the site is originally from Cameroon. The salad was really nice and simple to make. I had both that and the guacamole with some ciabatta bread, chicken, tortilla chips and dip for lunch. Here's a picture:


I wanted to get some elderflower drink to have with it, but wasn't able to. I'll probably get some another day though.

I also lit a white candle since Beltane is a fire festival and the light continues to grow as we move closer towards the official start of summer in June. Here's a pic:



Another thing I like to do for the sabbats is take sunset pics, usually at the park, beach or in the countryside. Obviously that's harder at the moment with the lockdown due to the coronavirus, but I just went for a walk (close to home as part of the daily exercise) and took a few photos. The past few days have been rainy and dull but today was sunny. I can't get as good a view as I can from some places, but I could see a bit:



So now we're well into spring and moving towards summer. Although the past couple of months have been hard and things haven't felt so great lately, it helps to think that we're moving towards a new season. The hawthorn trees near me are starting to blossom and I've noticed one rose so far.

Lockdowns/quarantines have started being eased slightly in some places which is a good sign  and hopefully things will get better soon. I hope that by Litha/the Summer Solstice (20th June this year) we'll all be feeling a bit better. :)

Hope you had a good Beltane! (Or Samhain!). Wishing you an easier, happier month ahead. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment