Sunday 3 July 2022

Litha 2022

The week before last I celebrated Litha aka Midsummer/the Summer Solstice (Tuesday 21th June). I had planned to do a post about it last weekend but wasn't able to, so I'm posting this weekend instead! :)

As I mentioned in my Happy Litha! post, I usually celebrate by making/having salad. This year I made a tomato and onion salad, the same as I've done for several years. The recipe is from The Kitchen Witch book by Soraya. I don't think it's online, but here's a similar recipe that I linked to in the Happy Litha! post (for Italian salad): https://thisitaliankitchen.com/italian-tomato-onion-salad/

Last year I used red onions, like when I make Kachumbari (Kenyan tomato and onion salad) for Beltane. But this Litha I decided to use brown onions again. I had the salad for my lunch with some chicken, ciabatta bread, guacamole and tortilla chips (bought from the supermarket). I also made some "Hello Kitty" lemonade (the recipe is from a Hello Kitty book!).

The salad and the rest of the food was nice. Here's a pic:

 


 

I also made rice pudding. I've made it for the past few years after being inspired by a recipe in the Llewellyn's 2017 Sabbats Almanac. I tend to just make the recipe off the packet though! lol. I didn't take a picture but you can see what it looked like in my Litha 2017 post (it looked similar with the skin going brown on top): https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2017/06/litha-2017.html

 

In the evening I went up to my local nature reserve on a hill to take some sunset pictures. It was quite busy! It was a nice sunset; here are a couple of photos:   

 

Sunset on Mill Hill, Shoreham-by-sea.


 

I also made a video on YouTube Shorts when I ws up on the hill. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-UU4JVkHp30

I made videos on or around the last few sabbats too but just realised I haven't linked to them on the blog, apart from the Imbolg one (the first one I made). You can see all the videos here if you like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOdpTIWgtki7G_CJgN_pt-A

When I got back, I lit a candle (yellow this year) since Litha is a fire festival and it was the longest day. Here's a pic:

 

The rainbow is a decoration from my bday in March! lol.


 

So now we're "officially in summer! It's a got a bit warmer lately and I'm looking forward to hotter weather. It's been about 18C (64F) today, which I see is the same as the temperature when I wrote last year's Litha post and the 2020 post too! So, as I said in the 2021, it's about average for this time of year (June moving into July). July is generally the hottest month of the year though and it's supposed to be warmer next week. 

The days still feel quite long but since the Summer Solstice they're starting to grow slightly shorter again. The next sabbat will be Lammas (at the end of July/beginning of August) and you can definitely notice a difference in the length of the days by then . It's my favourite sabbat apart from Samhain! I'm planning to do a post about Lammas nearer the time. I will also write my spring-summer update soon, so look out for that! 

 

Hope you had a good Litha and Happy Summer! (Or hope you had a good Yule and Happy Winter!) :) 

 

P.S. For some summer inspiration check out these posts:


 
 
 
Or if it's winter for you, you might like these posts:

Winter Round-up + Inspiration: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2018/12/winter-round-up-inspiration.html

More Winter Inspiration + Winter Tag: https://livingseasonal.blogspot.com/2019/12/more-winter-inspiration-winter-tag.html
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment